When Franklin Graham (son of Billy Graham) announced the 2016 Decision America tour, a nation-wide prayer movement, I was all in.
I attended my state rally and did what I could to support such a massive spiritual undertaking. Most importantly, I prayed fervently for America alongside millions of others.
We’re still seeing the positive results of that nation-wide prayer campaign.
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord—the people He has chosen to be His own possession!”
Helping America – My Concern
My concern is that once things start getting better, God’s people will relax their efforts in praying for our country.
Honestly, that would be a detrimental move on our part.
America needs our prayers just as much now as she did back in 2016. And it’s up to us to make it happen
Helping America – Our Opportunity
Today is the National Day of Prayer for America.
It’s a day set aside for us to unite as God’s people and storm heaven’s doors on behalf of our country.
BUT…I also pray that it doesn’t end there.
“They all were continually united in prayer.”
Our prayers for America should be constant as we agree with God that we need Him as individuals, His followers, and as a nation.
Helping America – Specific Prayer Requests
“First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.”
~ 1 Timothy 2:1-2
Here are a few specific requests for America. This list is far from exhaustive. Hopefully we’ll all use this as a jumping-off spot — not just for today and the National Day of Prayer — but for every day.
- For the Lord to raise up godly leaders (those who seek and submit to Him) in every segment of our society — government, courts, military, churches, media, communities, schools, organizations, corporations, families, and more.
- Pray that many believers will run for and secure spots in a public office. (Specifically seek whether or not the Lord would have you run.)
- That the Lord would also raise up godly advisers and counselors (like Daniel, Joseph, and Esther), and that these would give godly advice that’s heeded and implemented.
- For God’s people to be united under Jesus as the Head of the Body of Christ, only possible through the power of His Spirit and by loving one another as He commanded.
- That the Lord would continue to deliver us from evil, especially those who seek to undermine the foundation of this country as “one nation, under God.”
- That we, as His people, would humble ourselves, seek His face, turn from our wickedness (AKA repent), and pray.
- For us to truly love Him with all that we are.
- For us to love others the way He commands, truly seeking the best interest of others, in accordance with His Word.
- Pray for revival among us which leads to a worldwide spiritual awakening unlike anything this world has ever experienced.
- And pray for our President — not just as the top official of America and leader of the free world — but also as a man.
Thank You For Helping America in the Best Possible Way
I’m very grateful for prayer warriors. And while I’m not perfect at it, my aim is to be more and more of a prayer warrior with each passing day.
And on this National Day of Prayer, I am thankful for so many who choose to band together to pray, helping America in the best possible way.